Grapefruits-Tequila-Lime-Honey-Brown Sugar… what more could you ask for!
In looking for a fun new chicken recipe, I saw Tequila Lime recipes everywhere, or Margarita Chicken as most people nicknamed it. I’m a bigger fan of grapefruit margaritas, so I thought i would put a spin on the normal tequila lime chicken–and it was sooooooo worth it! Not only did the marinade produce the juiciest chicken i’ve ever had, but the sauce was sweet and light.
For the marinade:
- 1 cup of Orange juice
- Garlic Powder
For the grapefruit margarita glaze:
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/4 cup Tequila
- 1/8 cup of Orange Juice
- In a quart sized Ziploc bag, add 1 cup of Orange Juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add the chicken in the bag and marinade for 2 hours.
- Grill chicken at 400′ for about 20 minutes while basting the chicken continuously with the marinade every few minutes. Make sure the chicken is not burning from the marinade, I turned my chicken 4 times to make sure it did not burn.
- When cooked through, bring inside and let rest.
- For the marinade, first peel a grapefruit with a knife so that all the skin is removed. Cut grapefruit into small pieces and squeeze as you put it in a small frying pan. Juice one lime into pan.
- Add honey, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika and tequila into pan. Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes and taste sauce. Add salt, grapefruit juice or lime juice as needed.
- Cut a slice of the grapefruit and lime for garnish.
- Serve over rice.
This is a great spring/summer recipe and you can limit the sugar and honey to make it an even healthier recipe.
Much love xo