I have nothing but gratitude for the vegan community for adding so many ingredients that are dairy free. Trips to grocery stores are always much longer for people with food allergies because they need to read every label and make sure it is safe. Natural food stores and the vegan aisles at grocery stores have made it much easier to shop. This recipe features one of my favorite ingredients: Earth Balance Original buttery spread. I have converted everyone in my family to use this dairy free butter spread because it tastes great and is better for you! Below is the recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that feature this butter spread:
- Russet Potatoes
- Earth Balance Butter Spread
- Vegetable Broth
- Original Flavor Coconut Milk
- Garlic Powder
- Peel 4-5 potatoes and put in a medium pot of water. Boil for 20-25 minutes. Use a fork to make sure that you can easily put the fork through the entire potato.
- Drain potatoes and put back in pot.
- Dice garlic very small; you don’t want to get too big of a bite of garlic in the potatoes.
- Add 3 tbsp of butter spread, 1/4 cup of coconut milk and 1/4 cup of vegetable broth. If you use less potatoes, use less milk and broth.
- Use a mixer until the potatoes are a creamy consistency. Add more vegetable broth if needed.
- Add salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder and garlic pieces. Fold into the potatoes.
- Garnish with parsley.
I served with steak and snow peas tossed in balsamic vinegar. These mashed potatoes are light and creamy without the overly buttery taste.
Much love xo